[Biopython] How many of you are on Slack?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 28 05:59:13 EDT 2021

Dear Biopythoneers,

I am speaking here on behalf of the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF),
the umbrella project for Biopython etc which looks after our domain name,
mailing lists, etc.

We (the OBF) have been trying to reduce the amount of systems administration
our all volunteer team have to look after, and mailman is one target. There has
been a long term decline in Biopython's mailing list usage with more and more
discussion happening on GitHub issues and pull requests instead.

Have many of you are also Slack users, and would a #Biopython channel under
the (currently little used) OBF slack be popular? As an aside, there
is a separate
more active OBF BOSC slack which may be of interest for the upcoming BOSC
meeting as part of ISMB/ECCB 2021:

https://join.slack.com/t/obf-bosc/shared_invite/zt-n5ur1gsj-z2C~69_4lYTFPg5tbWA8Ew

i.e. Might GitHub and Slack suffice to retire the Biopython mailing list?