[Bioperl-l] Offering to help

Chris Mungall cjm at berkeleybop.org
Thu Mar 5 23:48:07 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:49 PM, Kevin Clancy wrote:

> Hi Guys
> You might also want to check out Ontologies  for Biomedical
> Investigations - OBI
> http://obi-ontology.org/page/Main_Page
> I've been following this thread and am intreagued by the use of
> roles in Moose. So if I have a defined ontology with classes, each
> of which has roles, can that be dropped into the Moose framework?

Hi Kevin

Can you explain what you have in mind here? Particularly with respect
to classes in ontologies having roles.

The idea of having the ontology drive the object model is appealing,
but there are a number of gotchas here. There's a significant
impedance mismatch between the semantics of classes, roles and so in
between ontology formalisms and object-oriented concepts.

> The main reason for asking is that a lot of work has gone into OBI
> including normalizing the ontology to others in the national center
> for biomedical ontologies http://bioontology.org/ and obo foundry http://www.obofoundry.org/
> . having some of this ontological work extended into the behaviour
> of the Bio* languages would be an interesting extension of these
> projects. My main concern with FuGE is that I don't know how
> compatable it is with these communities.

I don't really know much about FuGE.

But speaking of ontologies and Moose, I have been thinking it's about
time to update the creaky old go-perl framework, fixing it to support
some of the more modern features of OBO and OWL. I'd like this to be
done in such a way that bioperl2 can use this. If Moose is the way to
go we'll move in this direction, though probably not until after I'm
convinced that Moose and DBIx::Class can play well together.