[BioSQL-l] Web front-ends to BioSQL

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 11:03:12 UTC 2009

Dear All

Thank you for the responses.  I think it is clear there is a need - all
over the World there are groups of various sizes who try to collate and
curate sequences for their organism of choice, from fish virus databases
with 200 records, to flu databases with many thousands.  I'm in contact
with a tiny percentage of these groups, and there is a clear need for:

- common DB schema (tick, we can use BioSQL)
- Web app for:
	- submitting new sequences
	- curating and editing sequences
	- comparing sequences - align, draw trees etc
	- showing sequences on maps (i.e. location of sample)
	- submitting sequences to GenBank
	- retrieving sequences from GenBank

With all of the Bio* projects, this shouldn't be too hard to do, but as
ever it needs bodies to do it... I took a quick look at Galaxy but that
isn't really what was needed.

Thanks again

Mick