[BioSQL-l] Web front-ends to BioSQL

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Fri Jan 30 02:51:34 UTC 2009

Hi -

I have partly auto and partly manually generated an EJB 3 binding to
BioSQL that can be used with JPA. Notably this uses the new EJB model not
the nasty old one so it is very easy to use. As all EJB's are now plain
old java beans it is also very easy to use these objects in web services
and JSP pages (maybe PHP too??).

Also, because the EJB's and JPA is now more flexible you don't need a full
java app container (JBOSS, Glassfish) but can instead use them in
standalone programs although with a container you do get other benefits of
transaction control/ security/ load balance etc for free.  Also if you do
use a web interface the web front end will probably be in Tomcat and you
can use this as a light container for talking to the biosql entity beans.
If you think there will be more than a few users I would probably advocate
using Glassfish or similar app server because there are many advantages
that out weigh the relatively small overhead.

The EJB binding is not part of BioJava but is a candiate for inclusion in
BioJava3.  I can provide you with code if you are interested. I would also
be keen to see this get some use.

Best regards,

- Mark