[BioSQL-l] Web front-ends to BioSQL

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Jan 30 15:23:24 UTC 2009

Having such a webapp would be pretty cool, and I agree with the
argument below that there are numerous small groups or individuals
with this need. (we have some ourselves here ...)

One word of caution as to where to look for lessons I think is the
infamous GMOD gene page and standard web front-end, which has been
labored on in various incarnations for more than half a decade,
without producing a compelling and broadly adopted result. People's
needs and technology obsessions vary from place to place.

One possibly hugely complicating factor for the GMOD web front-end was
that the target audience were model organism websites, which
themselves have a large and diverse stakeholder community, so
flexibility and configurability became overriding requirements
resulting in bloat of code stacks and features.

My personal take is that for this to be broadly useful, the primary
target audience should probably be programmers, or programming-savvy
scientists, who can extend and customize a core application at will.
In other words, much in line with the philosophy behind the Bio*
libraries.

Other than that, keep it simple so I don't have to learn yet another
(namely your templating or clever XML configuration scheme) language
to extend it. I sat next to Mark when he generated a bare-bones BioSQL-
binding in EJB literally in minutes, which I thought was cool. People
rave about Ruby and RoR too as for ease of getting started. By far the
most people out there will be familiar with Perl, but I'm not sure
what the web application framework would be there that would put me at
ease. In the end what may count more than anything else is critical
mass even if it's not everyone's darling language.

My $0.02, and I'd be keen so see what comes out of this. If there's
something I can do to tip the balance towards something tangible
happening, let me know.

	-hilmar