[Bioperl-l] Fwd: [Gmod-ajax] Jbrowse on mac os 10.5

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Mar 18 17:57:15 UTC 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Isabelle Phan wrote:

> It would help me immensely to get a clear answer: after I unpack the
> Bioperl tarball, do I have to run the Build, Yes or No?

You don't. I myself only do so to check that it does build (and to get
the tests run). I know that several other devs do the same.
Specifically, I never *install* BioPerl (because I want to be able to
switch versions easily).

I believe Build sets up a config file for Bio::DB::GFF, which is used
by GBrowse, but I may be mistaken on that. If I'm not you'd have to
either create that file by hand, or run Build but you still don't have
to *install*.

The only caveat if you don't install BioPerl is that you'll have to
include its location in the PERL5LIB environment variable for every
script that uses it (or add -I, or add 'use lib' to the script).

	-hilmar