[Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code: application submitted, action needed

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Mar 14 22:59:51 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have submitted the application yesterday for O|B|F participating in
the 2009 Google Summer of Code as a mentoring organization. The
application is at

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhs98hzv_7zn8bxqjm

and is also linked to from the ideas page at

http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009

Now keep your fingers crossed, Google is slated to announce
acceptances on March 18.

This is the last cross-project message re: Summer of Code that
addresses mentors and our projects; future messages that I'll post
across projects will be primarily for students such as announcing
whether we are accepted or not and issuing calls for application.

**What we need most and right now is action from our projects'
developers and from possible mentors.** Google admins will start
reviewing organization applications on Monday. The ideas page has 6
project ideas right now - though the ideas are good ones, the quantity
won't be particularly impressive to Google.

Therefore, if you have an idea for a summer project for a student
please use the C& template (it is commented out now but you'll see it
when you pull the Ideas section into the editor) and put it up there
ASAP. If you're not sure yet who'll mentor, put tentative names there.
We don't need a full commitment from mentors until the student
application period starts (March 23).

Next, for all projects, the leads and/or volunteers should check the
reference information for their project:

http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009#Open-Bio_projects_involved

I just culled these links from the various project websites - it'd be
much appreciated if going forward everyone can lend a hand in this.
Please review what's there and add or fix as you see fit. *These links
must be correct and complete - otherwise potential students may not
find you.*

Finally, all prospective mentors, primary or secondary, committed or
not, and anyone else who would like to volunteer to help out, should
subscribe themselves ASAP to the mailing list for communicating GSoC-
related administrivia:

I will *not* cross-post all administrative announcements or requests
for information, and so you *will* miss information if you don't
subscribe yourself there. (Note: students will be subscribed there
only *after* acceptance).

Those who are considering to mentor, primary or helping out, please
also add yourselves to the Mentors section on the Ideas page (and
check your link if you're already there):

http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009#Mentors

Cheers everyone, and fingers crossed!

	-hilmar