[Bioperl-l] Indexing HMMER reports

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 10 04:01:39 UTC 2009

I'm not familiar with that one, but I assume the indexing is very
likely by the query ID (similar to BLAST report indexing, which I've
worked on).  So, you would index the report first:

--------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use Bio::Index::Hmmer;
my $indexfile = shift;
my $index = Bio::Index::Hmmer->new(
     -filename => $indexfile,
     -write_flag => 1
);
$index->make_index(@ARGV);

Then, retrieve the HMMER report using the query ID and fetch_report(),
which just advances the file pointer to the start of the indicated
report prior to parsing, and returns the Bio::Search::Result::ResultI,
I believe.

chris