UnivAln 1.004 Beta

Steven E. Brenner brenner@akamail.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:06:49 +0900 (JST)

Hi Georg,

> Now available at http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Perl/Bio/welcome.html

That would be http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Perl/Bio/
wouldn't it?  ;-)

> Arbitrary numbering schemes are now supported, you can write things like
>
>   $aln_copy->seqs({ids=>'Rattus Mus Junk'},{ids=>'1 1a Whatever 3 5 50'})

Um, I suggest that we leave the arbitrary numbering OUT of the interface
for now, as it could potentially conflict with whatever is decided for
Bio::Seq.  (Leave the code in, but don't advertise it)  There are a lot of
questions which need to be very seriously thought about, such as what sort
of assumptions should be made for efficiency and usability.  Just for
example, should lists of positions be given as space-delimited strings,
comma-delimited strings, arrays of strings, or something more complicated?

> **** PLEASE, DO SEND ME FEEDBACK !!! ****
> **** PLEASE, PROOF my POD and code !!!:-) ****

I'm just about to go on a 2-week lecture tour, so I doubt I can give
comments before early April.  Maybe I can make some quick comments this
weekend, but as I need to finish my slides and set off a paper -- don't
bet on it.

Steve