[Biojava-dev] How to start opensourcing with biojava

Paweł Henek pawelhenek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 10:55:52 UTC 2012

Welcome everyone,

I am writing to you, because I need an advice from more experienced
developers.
I plan to start my experience with bioinformatics and open source software
development.
I'm third year student of CS with one and half year of commercial
experience in Java.
On my university I have a project to realization in next 3 months, and I
thought about topics from biojava project.

I want to practice knowledge from areas such as java.io , threads and
algorithms.
Reviewing biojava project I've found few topics that I could choose,
unfortunately I cannot estimate an effort needed to complete
project in time.

Could you recommend me which topic is good to start with biojava, of course
taking into account these 3 months of deadline?

- Genbank parser
- Stockholm file format parser
- CATH parser
- Balibase