[Biojava-dev] ProcessTools / ExecRunner

Len Trigg len at reeltwo.com
Tue Oct 7 23:18:25 EDT 2003

Thomas Down wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:43:50PM +1200, Len Trigg wrote:
> > Also, he switched to using ProcessTools, and has noticed that
> > occasionally a job will just hang (I'm guessing there might be a bug
> > in the way ProcessTools extracts the stdout/stderr of the process). If
> > it doesn't ring a bell with anyone, I'll look into it.
>
> Have you got any examples of this?

Not at the moment, but we'll see if we can reproduce it reliably. I
think our code is using ExecRunner at the moment, but we'll convert
the troublesome application to ProcessTools (which seems to make more
efficient use of the CPU than ExecRunner). We are using jdk 1.4.2, so
it doesn't seem to be version related.

One minor thing, should ProcessTools.java:518 be calling close() on
the writer? I work by the general rule that the code responsible for
opening a stream should also be responsible for closing it.

Cheers,
Len.