[Open-bio-l] Sanger FASTQ format and the Solexa/Illumina variants

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Fri Dec 18 13:54:53 EST 2009

I second Hilmar - congratulations to all the authors!  I think it's a very
important contribution that summarises the history and current usage of
FASTQ, and provides constructive suggestions for how to go forward with what
will be a central file format for many areas of biology.

L.

On 18/12/2009 16:25, "Hilmar Lapp" <hlapp at drycafe.net> wrote:

> Congratulations! I'm delighted and truly pleased to see this come out
> of our community of member projects. Kudos to the team for taking this
> work all the way through to writing it up formally for publication &
> archival for everyone's benefit.
>
> -hilmar
>
> On Dec 18, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I¹m delighted to announce an open access publication in Nucleic Acids
>> Research describing the FASTQ file format based on the conventions
>> agreed by the OBF projects (largely on this mailing list):
>>
>>  The Sanger FASTQ file format for sequences with quality scores,
>>  and the Solexa/Illumina FASTQ variants.
>>  Peter J. A. Cock (Biopython), Christopher J. Fields (BioPerl),
>>  Naohisa Goto (BioRuby), Michael L. Heuer (BioJava)
>>  and Peter M. Rice (EMBOSS).
>>  Nucleic Acids Research, doi:10.1093/nar/gkp1137
>>
>> This open access publication will hopefully serve as a reference
>> describing the original standard Sanger FASTQ, and the two variants
>> from Solexa/Illumina, and how to inter-convert between them.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> P.S. This was also posted on the OBF news server:
>> http://news.open-bio.org/news/2009/12/nar-fastq-format/

Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI
Errol Road, Invergowrie, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, DD2 5DA
e:lpritc at scri.ac.uk       w:http://www.scri.ac.uk/staff/leightonpritchard
gpg/pgp: 0xFEFC205C       tel:+44(0)1382 562731 x2405

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).