[Open-bio-l] [Bosc] BOSC 2010 Request for Input

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Mon Dec 21 16:32:02 EST 2009

Kam and Open Bio folks;
It's great to see planning for BOSC 2010 going on already. Lots of
exciting ideas.

> --Mini-hackathon either before, during, or after the 2-day BOSC.  The
> subject of the hackathon would need to be organized by the individual
> project leaders/teams.  Some suggestions would be adding/extending support
> for next-gen sequencing; organizing bugs/tasks so that new beginners can
> start contributing to the project easily and working on some of those
> bugs/tasks; organizing some type of contest like the Genome Annotation
> Assessment Project (GASP) where solutions from different projects compete
> on arriving at some type of goal.  Would you be willing to organize/lead
> this type of session?

I can help organize a hackathon at Mass General Hospital, which is
located fairly to close to Hynes Convention Center, where the conference
is on. I booked conferences rooms for dates surrounding BOSC (July
6-8th and 11th) that will accommodate up to 30 developers from various
projects.

This could be a fairly informal get together for developers who can
spare time before or after BOSC. If we could get a show of hands
from people who might be interested, this would help gauge the size
and scope. As you suggest above, we can hone in on specifics for the
work based on the interests of attendees.

> --Organizing/creating a LiveCD or Debian download of Bio* projects with
> documentation to support outreach to the larger bioinformatics
> community.  Would you be willing to organize/lead this type of session?

A cloud version of this goal is up and coming here:

http://www.cloudbiolinux.com/

I cc'ed in the mailing list for folks there who aren't on the open
bio mail servers and might be interested.

Brad