[BioSQL-l] release ready?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Jun 11 10:46:56 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 01:24  AM, Morten Lindow wrote:

> So - has 1.0 been released? I have played a little with developmental
> versions, which looked promising but were to difficult and slow for my
> skills to get to work. Iwould very much like to try an 'official'
> release with  directions as to which bioperl and bioperl-db to use it
> with.

It has not been released yet, primarily because I'm finding bugs in the
Oracle version and fixing them. None of these are major though. We
could make a cut at any time and release though.

This would not necessarily solve your problem though if your problem is
putting the right package versions together. bioperl 1.2.1 has been
released, and 1.2.2 which would contain a couple of fixes especially
useful for bioperl-db is pending.

The one thing about bioperl-db that makes me wary wrt releasing it is
documentation. The codebase may have problems in certain corners, but
generally it works, at least in my hands :) There are a number of
modules which carry out-dated and misleading PODs though. This could be
very confusing and frustrating for people if there appears to be some
sort of blessing due to it having been released. What are other peoples
views on this?

> btw: Is http://obda.open-bio.org/   the official website for biosql?

Sort of. BioSQL originally started as (and still is?) a part of OBDA.
The more honest answer is probably that there is no real website for
biosql. Anybody who'd like to start would be more than welcome ...

Actually, Aaron Mackey is in the process of writing an O'Reilly net
article about biosql. This could be a nice basis for a website.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org