[BioSQL-l] Postgres version support

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:43:21 -0700

I updated and fixed the transform_sql.pl script for generating the
Postgres version from the InnoDB version of the schema with FK
constraints. The result seems to run fine through psql (yeah, I
finally got this up and running on my laptop this weekend). I
committed it too.

ChrisM, Thomas, you are regular Postgres users, right? I noticed
that Postgres creates triggers for enforcing the FK constraints and
I guess these triggers will also execute the ON DELETE CASCADE
actions. If I do '\d bioentry' I see a whole bunch of triggers
showing up supposedly enforcing constraints (bioentry does have a
number of FK constraints to it):

Triggers: RI_ConstraintTrigger_16829,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16835,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16843,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16845,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16849,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16851,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16855,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16857,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16879,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16881,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16891,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16893,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16915,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_16917

Is this known to create a performance problem in Postgres? I was
wondering whether combining them into one trigger by hand will or
will not make a significant difference in performance. BTW does
anyone know off hand how I can view the code of a trigger in psql?

There's no data yet, and the bioperl-db adaptors don't support Pg yet.

	-h
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org