[Biopython] request to solve unistallation and installation biopython in two version of python under ubantu linux vertually in window7 using Oracle box.

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:03:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM, kakchingtabam pawankumar sharma
<pawan.mani2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear sir,
>     I have been facing a problem in removing biopython from ubantu which i
> am using virtually using oracle VM vertualBox software. i have python2.7.
> but i have instal python3 using apt-get command. and then i install biopython
> using aptget

I believe the Ubuntu package for Biopython will be for Python 2
(whichever Python 2 is standard for that vernon of Ubuntu).

> . then i could not able to import biopython in python3. only it works in
> python2.7. so i have remove python2.7 using sudo rm command.

Was Python 2.7 installed by an Ubuntu package, or by you from
source? If you install things from packages it is best to remove
them using the package manager (apt-get remove here).

> then i
> uninstall biopython using apt-get remove. then i type the command:
>
>      $ dpkg --list | grep 'biopython'
> then i got :
>
> rF python-biopython           1.56-l     Python library for Bioinformatics
> ii python-biopython           1.56-l     Documentation for the biopython
> library
>

> How to remove this two files and I have downloanded biopython tar file but
> before completing i have stop and when i locate biopythone. there is a file
> biopython-1.58.tar.gz.par. i want to delete this file.

I'm confused about what you've done with your system.

> I would like to know whether biopython is compatible with python.3.2.

Somewhat. Most things work but at this point we only support
Biopython on Python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7. You are welcome to
help test on Python 3, and fix bugs - but for a beginner I
would recommend sticking with Biopython on Python 2 for
now.

> if yes then i want to install Biopython for the two python version 2.7.2
> and 3.2.
>
> Kindly guide me to remove python3 also and I want to reinstall the two
> python version along with biopython. so that i ca used in both the version.

If you installed Python 3 using the Ubuntu packages, then use
the package manager to uninstall it.

If you installed any copies of Biopython from source, you
must manually remove them.

Normally Python libraries are installed separately for Python 2.4,
2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc.

You can install Biopython for Python 2.7, and also install
Biopython for Python 3.2 - this will result in two copies
in the system libraries.  That is normal.

I hope that helps.