[Biopython] request to solve unistallation and installation biopython in two version of python under ubantu linux vertually in window7 using Oracle box.

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:29:12 UTC 2011

Pawankumar,

Try this series of commands:

sudo aptitude reinstall python
sudo aptitude remove python-biopython
sudo aptitude install python-setuptools
sudo aptitude install python3-setuptools
sudo easy_install biopython
sudo easy_install3 biopython

This should fix your current Python 2.7 installation, which must be
installed correctly for most of Ubuntu to work.

The it installs the setuptools package for both Python 2.7 and Python 3,
which includes the program "easy_install". As Peter mentioned, each Python
version keeps its own set of installed libraries, so you need to install
Biopython separately for each Python version you want to use.

Don't use apt-get to install Python packages, in general. Use the
easy_install command instead -- easy_install for the default Python version
(2.7), easy_install3 for Python 3.

Cheers,
Eric