[Biopython] Google Summer of Code idea

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Fri Apr 1 19:38:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Albert Bogdanowicz <
albert.bogdanowicz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Uri, Brad, thank you for response.
> I'll take a look at the projects you mentioned, especially the python
> modules.
> Last year I was in Warsaw iGEM team and I wrote (with some help from
> teammates) this software: http://brickmanager.appspot.com/
> It's in GWT and Google App engine, but I think about writing a module with
> simillar functionality for Biopython (I prefer Python to Java).
>
> That means:
> - downloading information about brick
> - parsing it and creating an object holding information about a brick
> - connecting bricks (adding features, creating XML representation for new
> brick)
> - maybe creating a lab protocol for newly created bricks (it's quirky in
> this
> web application)
> - maybe uploading bricks to partsregistry.org
>
> That sounds like a reasonable workload for a summer project.

> Should I write the proposal now and correct some points during this week,
> or
> wait and send the final version?

I'm not too familiar with the GSOC procedures, but as I get it, you really
should find a mentor. It seems that, given time constraints, you should get
a more detailed draft of the project and send it to the group before
actually trying to get a final version.

cheers

--
Bartek Wilczynski