[Biopython] Google Summer of Code idea

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Apr 1 22:44:17 UTC 2011

Albert;

> I'll take a look at the projects you mentioned, especially the python modules.
> Last year I was in Warsaw iGEM team and I wrote (with some help from
> teammates) this software: http://brickmanager.appspot.com/

Thanks for this and the project ideas. It's really great you have
some experience with this and sounds like a good plan to get
started.

> Should I write the proposal now and correct some points during this week, or
> wait and send the final version?

Please definitely send along your proposal. It takes a lot of back
and forth to develop a great proposal, especially with regards to
establishing the weekly timeline, so the more revisions we can make
the better position you will be in to get funded.

As Bartek mentioned, the other variable is getting a mentor. I would
be willing to co-mentor but you would still need a primary mentor. I
send an e-mail to Austin Che, who would be interested in working
with you on refining the proposal. Austin works at Ginkgo BioWorks:

http://ginkgobioworks.com/

They are very involved in the synthetic biology community and have
given a lot back, so this seems like an excellent fit. From the
Biopython side, it would be great if your work could include some
re-usable modules, as well as the higher level functionality.

Austin, feel free to suggest directions or ideas that you think
would be useful. Albert, let us know how this sounds and definitely
write back when you have a first revision.

Brad