[Biopython] Permissions for Bio, BioSQL, Martel

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 09:15:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Finsen Chiu <fchiu at newton.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I am using RHEL4
>
> I built and installed as root and both went smoothly without interruption.

OK, good that it worked. But I don't normally do the build and test as root,
just use sudo for the install at the end.

> Running the test as root is fine, but the permission denied errors came when
> running the test as a user.
>
> So, I wonder if I need to give users write permission to those files (which
> I am not wanting to do) or if those errors are negligible.

Switching the permissions would work, but the best solution to not to
run the tests as root in the first place. If you do the build and test as
a normal user, all the temp test files will have normal user permissions.

[Normally there shouldn't be any left over temp files from the tests,
so I guess a test failed or was interupted before it could clean up]