[Biopython] suggestion: moving to the discussion list to Google groups

Istvan Albert iua1 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 17 17:29:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:

> Mailing lists are far more convenient - for me - than having to navigate to
> a website especially to check new messages on a particular subject.

Just for clarity:  nobody is suggesting to take that away. You can
*always* get the messages delivered via email. I think some of you get
a little bit defensive because you assume that the suggestion is about
messing with your system.

> Biopython is never likely to be more than a niche interest,

You are perfectly right here and that echoes my original sentiment!
What keeps biopython a niche interest is exactly the lack of community
building features. There obstacles in getting into it, so most won't.
It doesn't take much to discourage a newcomer.

best,

Istvan

--
Istvan Albert