[Biopython] suggestion: moving to the discussion list to Google groups

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 17:55:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 17/12/2009 17:29, "Istvan Albert" <iua1 at psu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Leighton Pritchard <lpritc at scri.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mailing lists are far more convenient - for me - than having to navigate to
>> a website especially to check new messages on a particular subject.
>
> Just for clarity:  nobody is suggesting to take that away. You can
> *always* get the messages delivered via email.

I wasn't worried that anyone would 'take it away'.  Though it must be said
that not all discussion systems allow email tracking.

> I think some of you get a little bit defensive because you assume that the
> suggestion is about messing with your system.

I don't think that's a fair characterisation.  So far, what I've seen is
open and thoughtful discussion of a comment you've made, and general
agreement that mirroring/archiving on Google Groups is a good idea.  Just
because someone doesn't agree with every point you make, that doesn't make
them defensive.

>> Biopython is never likely to be more than a niche interest,
>
> You are perfectly right here and that echoes my original sentiment!
> What keeps biopython a niche interest is exactly the lack of community
> building features. There obstacles in getting into it, so most won't.
> It doesn't take much to discourage a newcomer.

That's not what I meant when I wrote that it's a niche interest.

Biopython is a niche interest because a user likely fulfils three - rather
unusual - criteria.  I believe that these are the big obstacles to
participation - not the software used for the mailing list:

- they program in Python
- they have an interest (likely professional or educational - not many
bioinformatics hobbyists out there) in bioinformatics
- they have bothered to investigate an existing general library for
bioinformatics in Python, rather than try to solve their problem from
scratch ;)

Add to that, that the mailing list is a forum for discussion which - along
with all other online fora for discussion, including Google Groups - is
inherently self-selecting for active members.  Taken together, this sets its
own upper limit to the user base, which in turn helps define what is a
sensible system to convey information between, and to, users.

The three criteria listed above do suggest a sufficient level of comfort
with the problem domain, such that Biopython's presence on Google Groups is
- in my opinion - unlikely to be the major draw for new contributors or
users.

I do worry for the future of research if signing up to a mailing list (which
you can do via the website; no subscription email is required) is an
insurmountable hurdle for young, apparently computer-literate scientists.
If that sort of thing really is a problem, it should at least keep
conference attendances down in years to come, as navigating their Byzantine
registration systems must drive them to endless despair...

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

DISCLAIMER:

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).