[BioPython] Fwd: Scripts cannot connect

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 08:53:14 UTC 2007

João Rodrigues wrote:
> I've checked all my connection settings, tested an awful lot of
> possibilities and I came to this conclusion. When using a webservice, I
> can't connect to the internet. In the same script, I can get for instance,
> the google page, but the lines regarding the webservice itself, they won't
> connect.

Are you still finding things work on Windows, but fail on Linux?
If so, are you running the same version of python (and Biopython) on both?

> I've tried to set environment proxy (through export
> http_proxy='blabla:yyyy') in the script itself and nothing. I've set
> os.environ[blabla] and it's doesn't work.

When you say "it doesn't work", do you mean the (a) environment variable
isn't set, or (b) the environment variable is set but has not effect.

> So, does anyone has an idea of why this is happening? Shouldn't the
> webservice, if using http protocol (as it does), work just like any other
> command (let's say, urllib.urlopen)?

Are you saying there is a difference depending on the URL type (plain
page versus web-service?)

Or, are you saying there is a difference depending on what python
library you use (e.g. urllib or something else).

> I know this falls out of the BioPython theme but I consider it quite
> relevant for my BioPython work :)
>
> Thank you all in advance!

This must be very frustrating for you.  Have you been able to find your
University's official documentation for the proxy?