[BioPython] Fwd: Scripts cannot connect

João Rodrigues anaryin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:29:00 UTC 2007

Are you still finding things work on Windows, but fail on Linux?
If so, are you running the same version of python (and Biopython) on both?

There is the same version in all operative systems. I'm using XP (one 32bits
the other 64) in the Windows Machines (one at home another at "work") and
Ubuntu 7.10 in both my laptop and the Workstation at the University (it's
dual-booted). Regarding Biopython, it's the same version in all but my
laptop that has the last upgrade of the 28th October (but still, it never
worked before). But since I'm not using any modules, it should not have
anything to do with it.

When you say "it doesn't work", do you mean the (a) environment variable
isn't set, or (b) the environment variable is set but has not effect.

An example: I start a new session in my laptop and open the console. I type
"export http_proxy='blabla'" to set the variable. I then type "env" and it
returns me a list of all env variable *including* the http_proxy one. I run
"aptitude update" and it works. If I do the same in a Python Script, it
doesn't (at least when connecting to a webservice). I believe then, that the
variable is set but it doesn't work somehow.

Are you saying there is a difference depending on the URL type (plain
page versus web-service?)

I *think*, or suppose, that somehow, the two "types" of connection, despite
using HTTP and the same  proxy env. variable, are working differently.

Or, are you saying there is a difference depending on what python
library you use (e.g. urllib or something else).

Which other libraries can I try out? Other than urllib?

This must be very frustrating for you.
Have you been able to find your University's official documentation for the
proxy?

It's a dilemma. On the one hand, I have a perfectly set windows system that
can access the internet through the scripts I write. However, there is no
ZSI for it (ot at least, I can't install it). As such, no SOAP support, no
API I can get to work.
On the other hand, GNU/Linux. It works perfectly, the *.deb packages exist
and are quite easy to install, so I have ZSI and SOAP support to work with
the API. However, I can't access the web with the ZSI module.

I'll try to talk to the University Informatics Service to see if they can
figure it out. Really hope they can, otherwise, I guess I'll just have to
work from home since it works there.. :)

Again, very thankful!

João Rodrigues