[BioPython] KDTree optional compilation

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 27 22:01:32 UTC 2006

Anton wrote:
> K. Arun <karbak <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I just updated to version 1.42 (thanks !), and noticed I had to
>> uncomment the KDTree entry in setup.py in the NUMPY_PACKAGES section
>> to use Bio.PDB.NeighborSearch.  Since KDTree is essential to this
>> module, would it possible to add a note about this in the README, or
>> print a message during compilation to the effect that setup.py needs
>> to be modified ?
Yes. Can you write a patch for setup.py?

> I installed my BioPython using the Windows installer. Therefore the
> NeighborSearch module is not working (requires KDTree). In fact there was no way
> during the installation to add this module.
I thought I had included KDTree with the Windows installer, but it
turned out that setup.py automatically skips KDTree on Windows. This is
to avoid compilation problems with the C++ code in KDTree. It works on
some platforms, but not on others.
Luckily, MinGW can compile C++ code for Python 2.4 (but not for Python
2.3). I put a new Windows installer for Python 2.4 on the website (same
file name, but file size is now 1,074 Kb).

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics