[BioPython] Creating a graphical interface to database of gene coordinates

Srinivas Iyyer srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 22:49:28 UTC 2006

Dear group,
 I am happy that I am slowly finding pyhonian projects
related to my research area.

Problem:
1. I have a database of human gene coordinates on
chromosomes.
2. I have gene expression data from my lab concerning
the genes I mentioned above.

3. I want to visualize expression data laid on
chromosomes.

Eg.
Coordinates:
Chr      Gene       From      To     Exon
1         x         100       120    exon:1
1         x         200       250    exon:2
1         x         350       450    exon:3

Expression data:

IDent   sample  Chr    From     To     Expression
value
xxx_at  lung     1     110      120     100.35
x_s_at  heart    1     225      250     124.35
x_a_at  eye      1     375      400     146.35

What I want:

I want to have a simpler window, that would connect to
my database.  I want to give a gene, this python/tk
interfacce or what ever would query the database
draw a graph of gene according the exons and plot the
values.

-------_______----------_______-------

-- : exon
__: regions that are not exons, introns.

My questions to Tutor/BioPython forums:

1. What should I decide to work on a. Py/Tk framework
b. python imaging libraries etc.

2. I do not want to impress any one with this work,
except that it should help me understand the
relationships as the number game in the tables above
is highly confusing. So, a working version that
accurately plots the expression values for as many
samples I have

3. Are there any available modules to jump-start? or
do I have to create some from scratch. which would be
a problem because I am between novice to mediocral
level of python programing.

4. Any ideas/suggestions/pointers are highly
appreciated.

thanks
Sri