[BioPython] Creating a graphical interface to database of gene coordinates

Peter (BioPython) biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 12:32:21 UTC 2006

Srinivas Iyyer wrote:
> Dear group,
>  I am happy that I am slowly finding pyhonian projects
> related to my research area.
>
> Problem:
> 1. I have a database of human gene coordinates on
> chromosomes.
> 2. I have gene expression data from my lab concerning
> the genes I mentioned above.
>
> 3. I want to visualize expression data laid on
> chromosomes.

You may be able to produce chromosome diagrams with Leighton Pritchard
and Jennifer White's program genomediagram:

http://bioinf.scri.sari.ac.uk/lp/programs.html#genomediagram

It will do both circular genomes diagrams (nice for bacteria) and linear
ones - which would make sense for chromosomes.  I think I've seen
examples with expression data shown in this way... certainly it could be
done.

Note that this can produce PDF or bitmap output - but its not
interactive.  There is also a GUI to go with it, but I have not looked
at this.

One final suggestion, is to consider looking at R/BioConductor - its a
completely different language but I have seen examples where expression
data is visualised on chromosomes.

http://www.r-project.org/
http://www.bioconductor.org/

You can even call R from Python, for example using RPy (R from Python),:

http://rpy.sourceforge.net/index.html

See also RSPython, an R/SPlus - Python Interface which I have not used
personally:

http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/