[BioPython] Blast and multiple processors

Daniel Tomso dtomso at athenixcorp.com
Thu Aug 4 16:40:17 EDT 2005

Hello, all.

I'm working on improving my BLAST throughput, and I have some questions
about how the program handles multiple processors and multiple
processes.

Specifically, I've been experimenting with using BioPython's
NCBIStandalone to handle 3 or 4 simultaneous blast requests, since my
system has 4 processors.  I spin out the requests via
NCBIStandalone.blastall(blah, blah), then grab the blast_out and
blast_err file handles in a list.  Afterwards, I use blast_out.read() to
collect the reports from each of the 4 processes.

Is this wise and/or efficient?  My execution times do drop off when I
do, say, 4 jobs at a time instead of 1 at a time, so it is helping.  Do
the processor flags for blastall accomplish this more efficiently?

Sorry if this is not specific enough, but any insight would be
welcome!!!!

Dan T.

Daniel J. Tomso

Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics
Athenix Corporation

2202 Ellis Road

Suite B

Durham, NC 27703

919.281.0920

dtomso at athenixcorp.com

www.athenixcorp.com

Disclaimer: This message (including any attachments) may contain
confidential or privileged information and is intended only for the use
of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message, you are hereby notified that you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or information herein.
If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender
immediately and erase all copies of this message and any related
attachments.  Thank you.