[BioPython] idl/corba implementation ?'s

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:28:09 -0500

> I was thinking about the same problem Brad, and I was wondering if
> the following IDL / extension might be interesting:
>
>   // needs exceptions
>   interface BioEnv {
> 	Seq  get_Seq_file(in string filename);
>        PrimarySeq get_PrimarySeq_file(in string filename);
>        PrimarySeqIterator get_PrimarySeqIterator_file(in string
filename);
>  // using jeff's database names
> 	PrimarySeqDB get_PrimarySeqDB(in string name);
>        SeqDB        get_SeqDB(in string name);
>    };

This looks great! I just updated the biopython corba server to support
this new interface (it won't be a big deal to add exceptions in since
there isn't really any code to need exceptions in biopython yet :).
    So now the Biopython corba server is a full-fledged server which
publishes an IOR for the BioEnv interface and has all of the methods
and interfaces implemented. Of course, they don't do anything more
than return an item of the appropriate type, but they all seem to work
from a quick test so any of the other languages should be able to
write clients to the biopython server to test it.

> The IOR for this BioEnv object we could define as being in the file
> pointed by environment variable
>
> BIOCORBA_BIOENV_IOR_FILE
>
> This way when a bioperl/biojava/biopython script starts up it can
just
> say "get me the environment" and from then onwards not know/care
where
> this was actually being executed...
>
> I think this is sorta cool ;)

I agree! I wish there was an even more flexible method since the
environmental variable can't carry over into a new x-term window...
    But the biopython server now sets the environmental variable, and
I have a backup for reading a file from a default location and also a
way to set the filename directly from python code when you start up
the server, so it's as flexible as possible.

    Well, I guess the next step is to try and get an actual
functioning server set up in the code. Jeff has already kindly
supplied some starting code in the current biopython module
(Bio/Sequence.py), and I know there was a lot of discussion about this
earlier on the list. Is anyone still interested in trying to get this
together? It would have immediate usefulness to both Biopythoners and
now, thanks to the idl and corba, to Bioperlers and Biojavaers as
well. Any thoughts/comments from anyone?

Brad