[BioPython] idl/corba implementation ?'s

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:36:58 +0000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Brad Chapman wrote:

> This looks great! I just updated the biopython corba server to support
> this new interface (it won't be a big deal to add exceptions in since
> there isn't really any code to need exceptions in biopython yet :).
>     So now the Biopython corba server is a full-fledged server which
> publishes an IOR for the BioEnv interface and has all of the methods
> and interfaces implemented. Of course, they don't do anything more
> than return an item of the appropriate type, but they all seem to work
> from a quick test so any of the other languages should be able to
> write clients to the biopython server to test it.

I need to get bioperl working well for this as well...

At bioperl I planning to write both server implementations and client
wrappers, the client wrappers making the biocorba stuff look like real
"bioperl" objects without anyone knowing the wiser.

This could be supremely cool.

BioEnv might need a sequence factory in it, ie

     Seq make_Seq(in string display_id,in string accession_number,in
string seq);

etc... ;)

This is going to get into Matt's sequence factory problem ;)

Ewan Birney. Mobile: +44 (0)7970 151230
<birney@ebi.ac.uk>