[BioPython] python vs. perl

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:42:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:

> There is an interesting article and discussion about this scripting language
> war.  Here is a comment posted by a (former) Perl programmer:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> It's sort of like a really clean C++ with the convenience of Perl.
>
> I would HIGHLY recommend Python as being something you need to learn and start
> using! I mean, Perl is good for hacking stuff together because you know how to
> do it in Perl. Even Bash is good for that.. But Python really gives you a good
> feeling that you are architecting something that is made to work, made to
> last, and made to be maintainable. And Python is extremely good for quick
> Perl-ish hack jobs.

I agree completely ;) (and I am coordinating bioperl!). But

   Perl is ultimately portable
        has an incredible set of extensions - CPAN

and the killer

   95% of bioinformaticians use Perl

But I honestly believe the future is jpython/java objects on the server,
python/jpython/possibly perl on the scripting/driving side. Hence the
biocorba stuff.