[BioPython] FreeBSD port of BioPython

Johann Visagie wjv@cityip.co.za
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:43:19 +0200

This may be of peripheral interest to some people on the list:

I submitted a FreeBSD port of the first developer's release of BioPython for
inclusion in the FreeBSD ports tree.  This was committed some few days ago.
Yesterday I submitted an update of the port to -d02, though this has not yet
been committed - it will probably happen this weekend.

This means that a FreeBSD user with an up-to-date ports tree can now install
BioPython as simply as:

  cd /usr/ports/biology/py-biopython ; make install

Fetching of the package as well as installation of all dependencies (Python
itself as well as Distutils) will be handled automagically.  It also means
that BioPython should go out on the official FreeBSD CDs as of the next
release (only scheduled for November, I believe) and will be available for
installation by the user from the initial OS installation menus.

-- Johann