[Biopython-dev] Biograpy 1.0 beta released

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:44:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Andrea Pierleoni
<andrea at biocomp.unibo.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> one year ago we were talking about a library I was developing basically to
> draw seqrecord in a similar way to the BioPerl Bio::Graphics module.
> Today, I'm releasing the public beta version of that software ...
> http://apierleoni.github.com/BioGraPy/

Are you doing anything with "join" features from GenBank files (or
similar compound features)? This is something I'm thinking about
changing in the Biopython SeqFeature objects - having a single
SeqFeature with a compound location, rather than as now having
a parent SeqFeature with child SeqFeatures for the sub parts
(which does not make sense with things like GFF3 where there
are real parent/child relationships between features).

> BioGraPy is released under the LGPL license.

I'm curious about the license choice - LGPL prevents Biopython
adopting it for example.