[Biopython-dev] Biograpy 1.0 beta released

Andrea Pierleoni andrea at biocomp.unibo.it
Thu Sep 8 14:47:15 UTC 2011

Hi,
one year ago we were talking about a library I was developing basically to
draw
seqrecord in a similar way to the BioPerl Bio::Graphics module.
Today, I'm releasing the public beta version of that software that is much
more mature than
one year ago. The library is called BioGraPy and is based on matplotlib for
drawings and on biopython objects for input.
Basically you can give to biography a SeqRecord and it will draw it and
save it
in any of the matplotlib supported formats (including png, SVG and PDF).
But you can use it also at a lower level deciding exactly how and were to
plot
every feature also building very complex drawings. It comes with
integrated help for web usage, such as clickable SVG and html maps.
BioGraPy also supports continuous feature such as an hydrophobicity plot and
seqrecord per-letter annotations (if numerical).
All the code is documented with sphinx, and I'm also completing a comprensive
tutorial. The source code and the documentation are available at:

http://apierleoni.github.com/BioGraPy/

BioGraPy is released under the LGPL license.
This is an open project, so anyone willing to contribute, test or simply
suggest
improvements is welcome.
You cannot plot circular drawings from Biograpy, but you have GenomeDiagram
for that.
I hope (and think) this will be useful, significantly extending the
biopython plotting
capabilities.

Andrea