[Biopython-dev] Biograpy 1.0 beta released

Andrea Pierleoni andrea at biocomp.unibo.it
Thu Sep 8 16:11:15 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Andrea Pierleoni
> <andrea at biocomp.unibo.it> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> one year ago we were talking about a library I was developing basically
>> draw seqrecord in a similar way to the BioPerl Bio::Graphics module.
>> Today, I'm releasing the public beta version of that software ...
>> http://apierleoni.github.com/BioGraPy/
>
> Are you doing anything with "join" features from GenBank files (or
> similar compound features)? This is something I'm thinking about
> changing in the Biopython SeqFeature objects - having a single
> SeqFeature with a compound location, rather than as now having
> a parent SeqFeature with child SeqFeatures for the sub parts
> (which does not make sense with things like GFF3 where there
> are real parent/child relationships between features).

Yes, I'm using 'join' features, there is a specific "graphic feature"
for features with 'join'. I think it can be easily changed accordingly.
Actually I'm also guessing a hierarchy when plotting directly a gene
seqrecord/seqfeature with attached joined subfeatures.
Being able to trace  parent/child relationships would be a big
improvement, and not just for this library of course.

>> BioGraPy is released under the LGPL license.
>>

> I'm curious about the license choice - LGPL prevents Biopython
> adopting it for example.

Then I think it's time to change the license :)
Why is it preventing biopython to adopt it?
Which one do you suggest?
I could also use the biopython license, I don't need a strict control
on the code, I just want the library to be used by everybody willing to,
even closed source programs.

Andrea