[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 18:54:28 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
>> There is a lot of good material in this thread for new potential
>> developers. Tiago, it would make sense to condense what you've
>> written and include it with the Contributing guide:
>
> Just a followup on this: I think it makes no sense to put much of the
> new content before there is an official step of moving to github.

True - but we do need enough pointers for people to help try things out.

> What I am doing, is just to put, for test purposes a framework to see
> how these suggestions my work....
> In my view, this protects the people working on the official thing
> from the potential chaos of new developments, while creating a
> framework which allow for people to test innovations...

That sounds great, and a good model for other (self contained) modules under
active development.  I'm thinking along similar lines for Bio.SeqIO and AlignIO
(and by implication, the SeqRecord and the Alignment classes).

I would assume (although you didn't say this) you would also pull changes to
the official trunk into your branches periodically - at very least
after each official
Biopython release.