[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:42:56 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> There is a lot of good material in this thread for new potential
> developers. Tiago, it would make sense to condense what you've
> written and include it with the Contributing guide:

Just a followup on this: I think it makes no sense to put much of the
new content before there is an official step of moving to github.

What I am doing, is just to put, for test purposes a framework to see
how these suggestions my work.

I' ve created a fork
http://github.com/tiagoantao/biopython-popgen-test/
with several branches

The proposed idea is:
1. The master branch should be a clearing house and stability point
for things to be suggested for submission to the official branch. All
code here should have unit tests, all unit tests should pass and
documentation should exist. Is is also a place to correct bugs that
are discovered in the official trunk (if these are simple to correct
and don' t require the creation of a temporary branch to sort them
out)
2. There is a stats branch to work on Bio.PopGen.Stats. If you want to
work on statistics you can follow/fork from the statistics branch. Any
code that people might have should be discussed to if they want to
make it on the official release.
3. Less interesting to others, I will personally create a genepop
branch to make an enhancement to the existing parser and on the
ability to call the genepop binary.

So:
People work on their very personal branches (like my genepop one).
Development branches that might have shared interests (like the stats
one) should be forked/shared commit and people interested should
discuss among themselves.
Whenever some content is deemed ready it is then put on the popgen
master branch (alongside with tests and documentation). When the
master branch is in a stable state, then the changes are proposed to
the official one.

In my view, this protects the people working on the official thing
from the potential chaos of new developments, while creating a
framework which allow for people to test innovations...

Tiago