[Biopython-dev] Nexus issue on Windows with Python 2.3

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 09:06:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone using Windows and/or Python 2.3 try running the test suite?
>
> I'm seeing a problem with test_SeqIO.py and test_AlignIO.py when they
> call Bio.Nexus to construct a particular Nexus object (using seqences
> originally read in from Tests/Nexus/test_Nexus_input.nex for what its
> worth).  This triggers:
>
> TypeError: zip() requires at least one sequence
>
> On Linux with Python 2.4, and Mac OS X with Python 2.5 these two tests
> both passed for me.

This was a python 2.3 problem, the Nexus code (Bio/Nexus/Nexus.py line
1633) was using a Python 2.4+ only feature, see
http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html

sitesm=zip(*[self.matrix[t].tostring() for t in self.taxlabels])

I've added a check in CVS for an empty list of taxlabels (with a
comment about python 2.3).