[Bioperl-l] Using Bioperl Graphics to create a heat map of sequence hits

Scott Cain cain.cshl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:22:36 UTC 2009

Hi,

You should be able to do that with wiggle_density and wiggle_xyplot
glyphs.  See

   http://gmod.org/wiki/GBrowse/Uploading_Wiggle_Tracks

for instructions on constructing wiggle plots.  After you have a
wiggle plot, you'll need the wiggle2gff3.pl script (which is part of
GBrowse, but it will should run fine on its own), which you can get
from GMOD's cvs:

   http://gmod.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/gmod/Generic-Genome-Browser/bin/wiggle2gff3.pl

which will convert the wig file to a binary file.  Then you can create
Bio::SeqFeatureI objects that will work with Bio::Graphics to draw the
density or xyplot.  Note as well that Bio::Graphics is no longer part
of the main BioPerl distribution, so you'll need to get the most
recent version from CPAN.

Also, fair warning: I've never actually done this; I've only used
wiggle plots in the context of GBrowse, but it should work pretty much
as described.

Scott