[Bioperl-l] Problems with Bioperl-ext package on WinVista?

Jonny Dalzell jdalzell03 at qub.ac.uk
Tue Aug 11 15:07:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

trying to run the example given for Bio::Tools::HMM on the Bioperl site, and
when I try to run it, I get this in the command line...

"The C-compiled engine for Hidden Markov Model (HMM) has not been installed.
 Please read the install the bioperl-ext package

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Bio/Tools/HMM.pm line 140.
Compilation failed in require at HMM.txt line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at HMM.txt line 4."

I have installed the entire bioperl-ext package through subversion, and it
looks like all the relevant folders are in perl/site/lib/Bio/Tools, but it
won't work.  Am I missing something?  I'm under the impression that the
C-compiler comes with bioperl-ext (which installed with no reported
problems)?  I concede that I am extrememly new to both Perl in general and
Bioperl more specifically, but I have followed the instructions which I can
find.  I have the bioperl core installed in addition to bioperl-db and
bioperl-run.  I'm using Strawberry Perl on WinVista.  I appreciate that most
work through Linux systems...I am at times sorely tempted myself.

Any suggestions would be welcomed gratefully,
cheers,
Jonny

ps.  this is the partial script I was trying to run...

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

usr strict;
use Bio::Tools::HMM;
use Bio::SeqIO;
use Bio::Matrix::Scoring;

#Create a HMM object
#ACGT are the bases NC mean non-coding and coding
$hmm = new Bio::Tools::HMM ('-symbols' => "ACGT", '-states' => "NC");

#Initialise some training observation sequences
$Seq1 = new Bio::SeqIO(-file => $ARGV[0], -format => 'fasta');
$seq2 = new Bio::SeqIO(-file => $ARGV[1], -format => 'fasta');
@seqs = ($seq1, $seq2);

#Train the HMM with the observation sequences
$hmm ->baum_welch_training(\@seqs);

#Get parameters
$init = $hmm->init_prob; #Returns an array reference
$matrix1 = $hmm->transition_prob; #Returns Bio::Matrix::Scoring
$matrix2 = $hmm->emission_prob; #Returns Bio::Matrix::Scoring

I realise that this is incomplete.