[Bioperl-l] OS X bioperl, staden/read, install problems

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 8 15:59:30 EDT 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Jason Stajich wrote:

> When I get together with Aaron at the end of the month I will try and go
> through it with him so I understand what is supposed to happen and/or how
> we might reorg bioperl-ext to be less problematic.

The problem (over-and-over-again) has been that while people think they
have the staden io-lib successfully installed, they don't (because they
have to manually do a few things that the io-lib install doesn't do for
them).  It's a royal pain, of course.  And then they try to install
bioperl-ext, which doesn't successfully complete (you can, btw, install
only parts of bioperl-ext, so the whole staden read lib stuff shouldn't
prevent someone from installing the other alignment code).

Then, if they ignore that and try to run the normal bioperl test suite,
they get various odd cryptic errors about read not being successfully
installed.

-Aaron