[Bioperl-l] OS X bioperl, staden/read, install problems

Jim Nolan jnolan at tulane.edu
Thu Oct 9 16:20:10 EDT 2003

I tried installing bioperl-1.2.3 again on a relatively naive machine
(has bioperl 1.1.1, but no -ext). Installation went off without a
hitch. I think I must have gotten the idea of installing bioper-ext
from the www.bioperl.org/Core/external.shtml, after having looked
there for some other dependency like SOAP::Lite. Modules that are
this tricky to install (I did try to do the manual installation of
the missing io_lib files) should have a big skull and crossbones on
them to keep guys like me out. Or better yet, instructions in the
readme to tell us how to do it right.

At any rate, I ask that the evaluation for modules outside the core
release be minimized and that they not cause failure of make test.

Whining aside, thanks to everyone for making such a great resource
free to all of us, and Thanks for getting me going again after the
little detour.

Jim

Jim Nolan			email:JNolan at tulane.edu
Department of Biochemistry SL43
Tulane University Health Sciences Center
1430 Tulane Ave.		Phone: (504)-584-2453
New Orleans, LA 70112-2699	FAX:   (504)-584-2739
http://www.tulane.edu/~biochem/faculty/nolan.htm
http://phage.bioc.tulane.edu
The requirements said: Windows 2000 or better.
So I got a Macintosh.