[Bioperl-l] Fascinating bug...

Matthew Vaughn vaughn at cshl.org
Wed Mar 19 16:42:04 EST 2003

I've been working on implementing a generic microarray data viewer
built on top of the Generic Genome Browser. This has required dealing a
lot with aggregators, which, I have gathered from the documentation,
are implemented via Bio::DB::GFF. Well, I found the most fascinating
bug (or maybe it's a feature). In the configuration file for GGB, one
can specify custom aggregators like so:

aggregators = agg_wt_expression_1{expression_1:WT} transcript (and so
on..)

I was building names for these aggregators dynamically and the values
used to build them contained capital letters. I discovered, after much
gnashing of teeth, that while the above aggregator would work, this one
will not.

aggregators = agg_WT_expression_1{expression_1:WT}

I assume this is some odd behavior inherited from the Bio::DB::GFF
module, which is why I am mentioning it here.

What is going on? Any enlightened opinions?

--
Matthew W. Vaughn, Ph.D.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory