[Bioperl-l] parent <-> subject etc

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Mon Mar 24 13:01:50 EST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 08:27  AM, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> (subject,predicate,object) is nicely neutral

I guess it depends who you talk to. To me it's not neutral at all, and
it indicates direction just as the other terminologies do. I haven't
met anyone here who could immediately make sense of the above, but most
people quickly grasp (child,rel.type,parent).

I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

>  and accepted in the ontology community

That might be. As I said, if there's a community vote to switch to
(subj,pred,obj), I'll implement that. Maybe so far the "wrong"
(uninitiated) people have been vocal about ontologies in bioperl, so I
again encourage the "right" people to please change that.

So, whoever has an opinion or feeling about which terminology should be
supported (in fact, multiple ones can be supported by aliases) in
bioperl, please make yourself heard, and please do so *now* if at all
possible.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org