[BioSQL-l] circular

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Mon Jun 20 15:33:11 EDT 2005

Interesting question.

I'd argue that the root question is whether the boolean property of
circularity is best considered as an annotation of a bioentry with
sequence, or as a core property of a biosequence.

Annotation generally is something that's applicable to some but not to
other entries. A core property is something that can be well defined
for (almost) all rows, and/or is necessary to define uniqueness or
operations on the object.

Is_circular can certainly be defined for all biosequence rows. Also, in
order to define operations like taking a subsequence of length 100
starting 50bp before the end, knowing whether the sequence is circular
makes a critical difference.

So, short-term you can store it as annotation (tag/value) on the
bioentry, but long-term I think this needs to be added to the
biosequence table as a column.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org