[BioSQL-l] best biosql/bioperl-db to use now?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Mar 27 11:36:55 EST 2003

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:11  AM, Jason Holmes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been lurking on the list for a few weeks trying to get a feel for
> what's going on.  I've seen some talk about a schema freeze and (in the
> archives) cautions that not all versions of bioperl-db/biosql/bioperl
> work together.  For someone wanting to start from scratch right now,
> what would be the recommended releases (or prereleases) to use?  Would
> it be better to wait until the freeze is done?

If you can wait, then yes. If you only want to play around for now and
don't mind scrapping that schema instance and recreate from scratch,
then you can give it a go already. The pending changes to the schema
shouldn't be too terrible either, at this point probably not much more
than a few column renames. Nothing scary if you're at home in SQL, but
better to drop/create if you're not.

> I also saw (January archives) that the Oracle version may not be as up
> to date as the MySQL and Postgres versions.  Does this still hold true?

Yes. This will be another ~2 weeks counting from the point of final
schema freeze. What we're running here is the Oracle version, so it
will catch up at some point without question.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org