[BioSQL-l] Pg and mysql versions are decoupled

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Mar 19 10:41:59 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 03:15  AM, Matthew Pocock wrote:

> Is it easier to go mysql->pg or pg->mysql, or something_sane -> both?

I guess it is always easier to go <something richer>-><something less
rich>, so pg->mysql is supposedly easier.

There are some XML definitions for declaring relational schemas out
there, which would be totally RDBMS neutral. An example is Torque
(jakarta project), which would provide the DDL renderer along with it
right away.

I'd personally prefer going that (XML) route over the long term, even
though ChrisM has argued in the past that people can generally and
quickly make good sense of CREATE TABLE statements, and that SQL/DDL is
expressive enough. I agree with this but my standpoint is having an
upfront XML definition which a renderer converts into your favorite
RDBMS's DDL statements doesn't mean you're unable to look at and
inspect DDL statements. It's just for changing them that you'd have to
go into the XML layer.

I used to have reservations against an XML meta definition because then
you couldn't use ERD modeling tools to auto-generate the DDL anymore
(because none of them generates XML - even though with a decent amount
of digging around and an expensive license you could probably get
template-driven generation tools like ERwin to achieve this). However,
it turns out that over the long run the rate of change diminishes and
can be easily maintained by hand, and, more importantly for an open
source project, there are no good and free ERD modeling tools around
which also let you auto-generate DDL for different RDBMSs.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org