[BioSQL-l] towards schema freeze

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Mar 18 16:56:06 EST 2003

I encourage people looking at the present schema definition to see
whether there's anything that makes you feel uneasy or unsure.

  From my perspective, there are no real problem areas left that I would
be aware of at this point.

The best test of course is always subjection to the real world. The
current HEAD revision of bioperl-db should actually work with the
current HEAD of the schema, if someone wanted to test-drive this. Also,
there is Aaron's load_ncbi_taxonomy script, which already caught a
minor bug.

To finish the clean up, there is one remote corner I don't find pretty:
location_qualifier_value has columns value (a varchar) and int_value
(an integer). The only advantage of having both is if someone wanted to
efficiently (indexed) query against an integer value (like all
locations that are fuzzy and have min_start = 10) in this table.
Otherwise it is just a waste of space, plain ugly, and potentially
confusing as to which column you're going to find the value in that
you're interested in. Do people feel strong about keeping both columns?
If not, I'd propose to remove int_value.

If there's anything you learned to dislike about the schema, *now* is
the time to bring it up. I'd like apply the freeze by the end of this
month at the latest.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org