[Biopython] Biopython RNA sequence mutation

Pierre-Damien Coureux pierre-damien.coureux at polytechnique.edu
Thu Mar 11 11:54:56 EST 2021

Hello everyone

I'm rather new to Biophython and I would greatly appreciate some help to
write a clean script to fulfill my needs :

The goal of my script is to align short RNA sequences that could
complement with  one specific long RNA fragment

My problem is that a G base in my short RNA fragment can complement with
C or U bases in my long RNA fragment. The same for the U base that can
complement with A or G bases.

Thus, I would like to generate all the possible sequences from my short
RNA fragment that could then complement with my long RNA fragment

Here is an example : The initial sequence of my short RNA sequence is :
AAUGCAGUGGG

My reverse complement is CCCACUGCAUU and that sequence will be aligned
with my long RNA fragment to find its target

--> But I would like also to get all the possible combined mutated
positions for Cs (into Us) and for As (into Gs) to search all targets in
the long RNA fragment.

I don't know if I should generate a matrix for the RNA sequence to allow
mutation at specific position to generate all the sequences. Or should I
extract only the bases that can me mutated and then recombine all the
sequences obtained with bases that can not be mutated ? Which functions
of python or biopython should I use for this purpose ?

Well, any advice will be greatly appreciated

Best regards

Pierre-Damien