[Biopython] Bio.Application now subprocess?

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Sat Apr 10 13:12:34 UTC 2010

Let me say it was late at night when I started reading thorough this and I
am very new to it so....
The first function defines in Bio/Applications.py
def generic_run(commandline):
"""Run an application with the given commandline (DEPRECATED)......We now
recommend you invoke subprocess directly, using
str(commandline)............."""

The second
class ApplicationResult:
""""""Make results of a program available through a standard interface
(DEPRECATED)................."""

I think these should be moved tp the bottom if possible maybe below a
comment section that indicates the item below are or are going to be
deprecated.

The last line in
class AbstractCommandline(object):
""".......................
You would typically run the command line via a standard Python operating
    system call (e.g. using the subprocess module)."""

I started to read though this example but thought I would read more about
subprocess module, At this point it is not clear to me what bio/Applications
is doing for me. subprocess seems simple. But I  have a lot to learn and I
assume that if I start by getting basic functionality with subprocess then
it will make more sence

One of the parts that is not clear to me is for example in Emboss
class WaterCommandline(_EmbossCommandLine):
self.parameters = \
         [_Option(["-asequence","asequence"], ["input", "file"], None,
1, "First sequence to align")

Not really sure where the parts to the _option line are documented, I assume
in the ...for p in parameters:......
Just not clear, I guess I need to study it more.

  *Vincent Davis
720-301-3003 *
vincent at vincentdavis.net
 my blog <http://vincentdavis.net> |